If you’re driving down a major highway and see a massive crater in the road, surely you would stop, right? Or at least go around it. It is said, “A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.” As a small business owner with remote, hourly employees there are many pitfalls on your road to success. You may be aware of many, but some may be in your blind spot.
Over the next few weeks we want to highlight a few potential pitfalls that you can easily avoid with the correct tools. Some of these pitfalls are:
- Relying on handwritten timesheets for employee hours used for payroll.
- Not paying travel time to remote, hourly employees when the law requires it.
- Paying employees for work not really done.
- Getting fired by clients because your remote, hourly employees don’t show up to scheduled jobs.
- Losing money on jobs because you’re not accurately tracking labor hours.
- Exposing your company to labor board disputes because you aren’t accurately calculating overtime.
- Failing to properly pay California overtime.
- Spending more time on payroll than acquiring new customers.
As a remote employee management system with thousands of customers across the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico, we have heard a lot of horror stories from other small business owners. In this new series, we will outline the solutions we have for each pitfall listed above. These solutions will keep you safely on the road to success.
Stay tuned and stay in touch by following us on Facebook.